LL-L "Lexicon" 2008.10.05 (01) [E]

Sun Oct 5 18:13:17 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 05 October 2008 - Volume 01

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2008.10.04 (02) [E]

from heather  heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk

Jorg wrote

porc                swin

boeuf               neat, oxa, cu

veau                cealf

venaison          heorot (M.E. dere)

mouton            sceap

agneau            lamb

chèvre             geiz

poule              cicen

I have often wondered whether the fact that there is no difference in name
between the animal and the meat was an indication that 'lamb' and 'chicken'
were NOT eaten as meats by our medieval forefathers.

It might have been too wasteful to eat a lamb when it could easily feed many
more people after a breeding / shearing life and then be known as 'mutton'

Similarly a chicken produced eggs and so was not destined early in its life
to the pot. I keep my hens until they die of old age c 4-5 years and can
promise you that even long slow cooking would produce little of value
besides stock!

But we did share the word 'capon' which was a castrated cock destined for
the table. In our readings of medieval rents capons are frequently mentioned
as due as part payment - to be handed over to the Bishop's cook on a
specific day!

Also just to note that we did take on an element of the French ' poule' in
the word 'poultry' and 'poult' which I have just learnt is the correct name
for the young of domestic fowl ( I call them chicks!)

re folio / feuille / Blatt / leaf etc

I don't see why two different languages cannot share the same visual concept
for the same item however real or abstract. That a sheet of paper should
remind all these languages of a large leaf doesn't surprise me at all.

I have always be intrigued by the relationship of telling / recounting a
story

e.g. conter/raconter  erzählen   all these have to do with NUMBERS! &
 counting

Where is the link?

Heather