LL-L "Lexicon" 2008.10.05 (03) [E]

Sun Oct 5 21:38:16 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 05 October 2008 - Volume 01

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2008.10.03 (02) [E]

In the case of English, there seem to have been a lot of "twin-words" in the
native Germanic, even before the French-speakers arrived: bird/fowl,
tree/beam, hound/dog etc. Some have since aquired rather different meanings
over time (tree/beam), but I wonder if this duality made English more
receptive to borrowing when the later languages came? Old English peakers
presumably had no problem with same thing having two or three different
names.

Paul

----------

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2008.10.05 (01) [E]

Heather, you wonder about conter/raconter: D tellen/vertellen

 I have always be intrigued by the relationship of telling / recounting a
story

e.g. conter/raconter  erzählen   all these have to do with NUMBERS! &
 counting

Where is the link?

Maybe that is to be found a very long time ago, when reading, writing, and
counting still were considered "Magics"

and only our shaman (men mans?) could perform those for us. Jacqueline