LL-L "Etymology" 2008.10.06 (01) [D/E]

Mon Oct 6 18:22:51 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 06 October 2008 - Volume 01

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.10.05 (06) [E]

Beste Marcus, Ron, Lowlanders.

Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

Ron notes:

English has a liquid measure called "quart".

Well of course there are four 'quarts' (eight pints) to a gallon.

Regards,
Mark.

-----------

From: Arend Victorie <victorie.a at home.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.10.05 (04) [E]

Moi Wim en Jonny

Oord is bij oonz in 't Dreins ok een inholdsmaote.

Ien oord is een halve liter, twei oord is een mengel dus een hiele liter.

Goodgaon,

Arend Victorie

-----------

From: Jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>

Beste Marcus,

dank foyr Dyn Anter!

They are not related. *Quartierchen* (or *Quartier*) is called so, cause it
is the fourth part of a *Nössel*.

But a derivation of _quart..._ (a very old loan from Latin, which already
occurs in OHG) in any case.

In this mentioned context *"Oart",* which I also know in the same meaning
from East Prussia Low Saxon as* **"Quartierche'"** *or* **"Quartche'"** *(also
*'Achtelche'* I believe to remember, but I'm not sure) exclusively denotes
the special 'Schnapsration' which farm workers formerly got when they worked
on the fields.

And Ron writes: English has a *liquid* measure called "quart".

Somewhat different, but in general on the same line what Wim (thanks!)
wrote:

It reminds me of the dutch saying: ik heb mijn laatste oortje versnoept"

Oortje here being a coin.

nl.wiki http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oortje_(munt)<http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oortje_%28munt%29>
says:
*In de Middeleeuwen waren er talrijke munten in omloop, die door een kruis
in vier oorden (hoeken) verdeeld waren. 'Oord' kreeg zo de betekenis vierde
deel van een munt.*

And here* **http://de.mimi.hu/numismatik/quartje.html*<http://de.mimi.hu/numismatik/quartje.html>
it
*(oortje)* still has _qu_, even _kw_.

So this seems to prove that the shift from _kw_/_qu_ to _o_ is not a
special, regional phenomenon but obviously had occured widely spread in
LS. Or isn't it a shift but just a loss?

BTW: it even could be that LS 'Boartmann', describing a special
earthenware bottle, is another member of this family, because mostly it was
used to be filled exactly with that mentioned ration of schnaps (water,
tea or juice for the boys), when the workers went out to fulfil their daily
task. From _qu_ via _o_ to _b_? Frei nach U. Jürgens: "Der Teufel hat den
Schnaps gebrannt, um uns zu *verwirren* ;-)"!

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm