LL-L "Lexicon" 2008.10.07 (01) [E]

Tue Oct 7 18:20:46 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 07 October 2008 - Volume 01

From: E Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2008.10.06 (04) [E/German]

Ron,

It should be obvious; there are not two words for kussing or for blaar in
Afrikaans, so Afrikaans clearly does not fit your theory of 'mixed' vs
'unmixed' languages.

We also say skaapvleis, beesvleis, bokvleis and hoedervleis. There are no
similarities as with other 'mixed' languages, as with sheep>mutton or dead
calf > veal.

Elsie

----------

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>

From Heather Rendall heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk

re yestereday's mail "Last night's dig walk at 11 p.m. and I could see my
breath in front of me. Chilly!"

Whoops! I do of course walk my DOG last thing at night , not go out for some
archaeological or more sinister purpose

Heather

----------

From: Jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>

Heather, yesterday you wrote:

...from a much drier Heather who is now shivering under unseasonal cold.
Last night's *dig* walk at 11 p.m. and I could see my breath in front of me.
Chilly!

What is a *'dig walk'*? Just a typo of 'dog-walk', or is it any very
regional or very new neologism (perhaps a kind of *'digestive walk with/for
a dog'*??)?

I had put it on the forum of dict.cc and earned just speculations *g*... Now
that poor people (native English speakers among them) want to know what it
means!

With friendly regards!

Jonny Meibohm