LL-L "Etymology" 2008.10.09 (01) [E]

Thu Oct 9 15:11:07 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 09 October 2008 - Volume 01

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2008.10.08 (01) [E]

Dear Heather & Ron:

Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2008.10.07 (01) [E]

From Heather:

Jonny asked about The Muspilli. Your wish is my command ! Though whether I
am allowed to introduce Bavarian sources to this forum remains to be seen!
If the following is mere blank page, then be assured that the Great Kahuna
has seen fit to censor the text!  The text was found by googling for
Muspilli which saved me writing it up from my Althochdeutsches Lesebuch!

& More from Heather:

I've just found this translation on Wikipedia but I'm not sure I'd
agree with the sea being swallowed: I have muor as Moor /Sumpf

Mark:

Bavarian of ter not *this* gives me the hot shivers! I shall now take it
into a corner & channer on it for days. I don't know Modern Bavarian from
rubarb poi (surely unknown to the Great Kahuna - a great relief if true); so
why does it strike me as so followable?

Weos Heile!

Mark: This last particularly Ron, with my sincere wishes for a mercifully
brief durance in bed with the doctor... Hem.

By the way, a geological historian has been collecting records of a vast
number of bomb-like craters peppering the German Plain, dating back to a
swarm of meteorite strikes around approximately the La Teinè expansion. Sky
falling? One wonders. If I find the reference I'll post it.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Thanks for the wishes, Mark, me mate. With the help of heavy-duty meds I've
been catching up on sleep lost to coughing. I suspect I got this flu from
someone who recently brought it back from Southern China.

You asked in connection with Bavarian:

.... so why does it strike me as so followable?

Hmmm ... It could simply be innate brilliance in conjunction with years of
exposure to old languages and living in a multilingual environment. The mind
is a wonderful thing in that it figures out sound correspondences without
the owner being aware of it.

Carl Orff, who was very good at recreating medieval music in modern
packages, wrote his 1947 "folk opera" *Die Bernauerin* in Middle Bavarian. I
watched it on TV as a child and was incredibly impressed by it, everything
about it, including the fact that I was the only one in my family who could
understand it. I wish it were available in video form somewhere on the web.
The play is loosely based on the life of Agnes Bernauer (1410-1435):

English: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnes_Bernauer
German: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnes_Bernauer
Bavarian: http://bar.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnes_Bernauer

Mark, take care, and say hi from me to your Ruth!