LL-L "Traditions" 2008.10.16 (04) [E]

Thu Oct 16 15:10:38 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L - 16 October 2008 - Volume 04

From: Kevin & Cheryl Caldwell <kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net>
Subject: LL-L "Traditions" 2008.10.16 (02) [E]

A quick web search comes up with:

varkensblaas = pig's bladder

Kevin Caldwell

From: Jenny Kool <J.Kool at reginacoeli.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Traditions" 2008.10.15 (01) [D/E]

@ Ron: your mentioning of the Rommelpot brought back some memories I like to
share with you: being in primary school when the city of 's-Hertogenbosch
celebrated its 800-years of being a city (stadsrechten) the city council
organized an event which involved a rommelpot. All the school kids were give
a varkensblaas (can't come up with the English word, sorry), that we had to
process in some way (my mum helped me) and than had to attach to a tin, with
a stick in the middle. We were taught how to play the rommelpot and I still
remember some of the lyrics we had to sing with it. A lot of school children
gathered together in a sort of parade, singing that song.

----------

From: RBlaustein at aol.com

In a message dated 10/16/08 10, Jenny Kool describes a very interesting folk
custom from her childhood involving a "rommelpot" and a "varkensblass":

"Rommelpotterij, rommelpotterij,
Geef me een cent
En ik ga voorbij
Ik heb geen geld
Om brood te kopen,
Daarom moet ik met de rommelpot lopen
Rommelpotterij, rommelpotterij
Geef me een cent,
En ik ga voorbij"
Houdoe,

Dear Lowlanders,

In Jenny's very interesting description of this folk custom, she mentions
the word "varkensblass"

"Varkensblass" means "pig's bladder" in English.

"Rommelpot" literally means "rumble pot"!

Groeten,

Richard Blaustein