LL-L "Traditions" 2008.10.18 (01) [E/LS]

Sun Oct 19 17:48:47 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 19 October 2008 - Volume 01

From: Arend Victorie <victorie.a at home.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Literature" 2008.10.18 (03) [E/LS]

Moi Ed,

Ik zie dat oen onderzuuk hiel wat meer bij menaar ebracht hef dan mien
kleine gedichtenbundeltie.

Mar ik had ok nog wat uutparlevinkt op internet

In the *Christian calendar*, *Lady Day* is the Feast of the *Annunciation* (25
March) and the first of the four traditional Irish and English *quarter days
*. The term derives from Lady Day, when some nouns lost their
*genitive* inflections.
"Lady" would later gain an -s genitive ending, and therefore the name means
"*Lady's* day."

*Annunciation* (25 March) De ankondiging van de engel Gabriël an Maria dat
zij zwanger zul worden van een zeune en dat zij hum de name Jezus zul geven.

Dat betiekent veur mij, in mien poëtische harsenspinsels het begun van een
neie dag. Daorumme mien vergelieking in 't gedicht van Morris "Lady's day"
(Breaking day)

Goodgaon,

Arend Victorie.

----------

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L "Members' news" 2008.10.18 (02) [E/LS]

My best wishes for a quick recovery Ron.

I remember my father had something similar in the fifties/sixties, be it at
the height of his belly all around his body.

In our Limburgish we called it "het road van sinte ketreein", the "*Wheel of
St Catherine*".

cf. http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catharina_van_Alexandrië<http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catharina_van_Alexandri%C3%AB>

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katharina_von_Alexandrien

There were many places for going on pilgrimage for the "*Katrienewiel",* as
e.g. Ruisbroek.

http://users.skynet.be/dirkbinon/ruisbroek_sauvegarde/pagina's/St.-Kat.kapel
en begankenis.htm<http://users.skynet.be/dirkbinon/ruisbroek_sauvegarde/pagina%27s/St.-Kat.kapel+en+begankenis.htm>

Truyers & Rutting, in "Dagkalender van Alle Heiligen" , 384 pp, a
publication of "Het Belang van Limburg" gives sub "25 november, Catharina
van Alexandrë" that she was worshipped in the church of the beguinage in
Tongeren against deseases of the skin.

At the time, when my father had it, not very much helped, until a local
doctor came with a stinking tar-alike black stiff vaseline. But I have no
idea whether or not that product still exists (I guess they used that
product rather on cattle those days).

Recover quickly,

Regards,

Roger