LL-L "Members' news" 2008.10.20 (02) [E]

Mon Oct 20 16:53:08 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 20 October 2008 - Volume 02

From: Jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "History"

Dear Lowlanners,

many friends already have aked me: what the heck are you doing there, on
LL-L? What could be so fascinating in (old) languages? My answer often is:
for me it is a kind of "archeology without a spade".

But three days ago I got a chance to act as an 'physical' archeologist,
again without any digging equipment.

I had bought a bag with potatoes in our local super market. Its origin was
McPomm (nickname for the German low-landic province of *
Mecklenburg-Vorpommern*), as the label showed. I opened it the other day to
cook some of the potatoes together with carrots and a 'rutabaga' (*Steckrübe
*), with some bacon and smoked ox-meat (the whole menu is called in LS
_Jichen_ or _Jüchen_, meaning 'anything'). Surprisingly I found a rock among
the potatoes, and so I stated for myself that I had payed too much for them
;-)!

But then the real surprise came: looking closely to that rock I realised
that it wasn't just a grown stone but an artefact, probably a tool from the
Neolithicum! It wasn't complete but broken at one edge, though one still
could suppose it to have been the head of a kind of hammer, which e.g. may
have been used for killing or to open bones to scratch out the marrow.

Last but not least - when I showed it to my son it fell out of my hand down
on the flagged floor of my kitchen. The result: the tool splintered into
several pieces, and one of the flagstones was severely damaged :-(!

And the moral of the story? In future I'll prefer to remain with
etymological archeology; it's better for my kitchen ;-)!

Allerbest, and good health for you, Reinhard!

Jonny Meibohm