LL-L "Etymology" 2008.10.20 (09) [E]

Tue Oct 21 04:00:23 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 20 October 2008 - Volume 09

From: LUCAS ANNEAR <annear at wisc.edu>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.10.20 (08) [E]

Heather,

Ah, I knew there had to be some sort of cognate in English, and I don't know
how I didn't think of that. (apparently 'fordwine' was cited as late as
1366, as used by Chaucer, and 'dwine' as late as 1889)  About 'ver-, fer-,
for-, fair-', I had a professor say that generally (more-so in older Gmc) it
means 'to the (bitter) end'.  I think that this has been semantically
watered down over time (if it really had that sort of meaning to begin
with).  To think of one from OE, 'forweorþan', 'to perish'.
At any rate, regarding the 'dwinan' part, having no good etymological
dictionaries at hand, I went to etymonline (OED didn't give any *forms) and
they gave the P.Gmc form of *dwinanan.  I'm not that good at sound changes
regarding High German, which is probably why I'm still thrown on why there
is 'verschwinden'.  Is there a particular condition under which *d(w) >
sch(w), s(v); as opposed to *d(w) > t(w).  Thanks a lot.
Ron, thanks for the Low Saxon cognates; you, the list, and your website have
been my best resources so far for everything LS (as well as all Lowlands
related things).
Essentially though, my original question has been answered, thank you all
very much.

Regards,
Luke Annear