LL-L "Etymology" 2008.10.21 (02) [E/LS]

Tue Oct 21 17:12:28 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 21 October 2008 - Volume 02

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.10.20 (08) [E]

re: Reinhard wrote: Low Saxon has *verswinnen*, *swinnen* and some dialects
also *dwinnen*, older ones *verdwynen* for 'disappear'.

Hello Heather and Ron:. Verdwijnen from dwinnen,,, OK but how about the
English to dim the lights, Dutch "dimmen" ?

And yes Heather, the particle "ver-" in front of a verb often means "
utterly/total like slapen - verslapen is to sleep-to oversleep and vallen –
vervallen is to fall – to dilapidate (if that could be a verb in English)
but kopen is to buy, verkopen is to sell.

Greetings, Jacqueline

PS. Heather, Don't you love those moles. A couple brought me back a small
silver teaspoon that my kids had taken outside to play some thirty five
years ago! For that I forgive them a couple of moles heaps. J.

PS!! RON, I hope the antibiotics are starting to work by now. There is
nothing as bad as an itch that you can't scratch. Houd je taai! J.