LL-L "Language varieties" 2008.09.06 (07) [E]

Sun Sep 7 04:19:54 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 06 September 2008 - Volume 07

From: Lee Goldberg <leybl_goldberg at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2008.09.06 (05) [E]

On the spread of the "High"/"Low" terminology, I remember hearing an
Italian-American classmate in New York (where most of the Italian community
have their origins in Sicily and Calabria and other areas of southern Italy)
complain that people in Rome spoke a "High Italian" that was hard to
understand.

(That was in the 1970s and I really don't know how popular that terminology
is.)