LL-L "Language varieties" 2008.09.07 (02) [E]

Sun Sep 7 17:15:06 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 07 September 2008 - Volume 02

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties"

Beste Jules,

You wrote:

I would like to hear from our Flemish and Dutch friends as well as from our
cousins in South Africa if they, by analogy are comfortable with 'High
Afrikaans' and 'Low Afrikaans'.

First time I hear these expressions "High Flemish" and "Low Flemish". I find
the terms somewhat misleading.

Take the word "nooddruft" for example (Notdurft (G)). I'm quite sure it was
a common word in former times (meaning indigence, the amount of food you
need for survival). These days, older people still use the word "noeëttref"
in the same sense. However, if you would use the word "nooddruft" as a
literary term, it would be perceived as very "stilted". So what kind of word
is "nooddruft" then? If it's written in a book, it would become "High
Flemish", but if it's pronounced like "noeëttref" in daily life, it would be
"Low Flemish".

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

PS: Was actually speaking for Brabantish, but I guess Flemish is the only
term that has been exported succesfully *s* (mainly due to French that is,
which historically speaking, always had closer ties with Flemish than with
Brabantish).

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Just as an aside, Luc ... German *Notdurft* now has the specialized meaning
"call of nature".