LL-L "Names" 2008.09.07 (05) [E]

Mon Sep 8 04:05:56 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L - 07 September 2008 - Volume 05

From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2008.09.06 (03) [E]

Hi all,

I suspect many folks took the pond names with when they immigrated into
southern Africa!

Amongst our surnames are Poggenpoel and Swanepoel.

Elsie

From: Wolfram Antepohl <wolfram at antepohl.se>
Subject: LL-L "Names"

[...] I must have been a landscape full of ponds and pools at some time
considering all the "Gausepohls" (goose ponds), "Poggenpohls" (frog ponds),
"Swahnepohls" (swan ponds) and even "Krakenpohls" (crow ponds - they must
have been running out of water animals).

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Names

Elsie,

I think we can safely assume that those names are Neerlandized Low Saxon
names, at least Poggenpoel, since (*pogge* >) *pog* 'frog' is Low Saxon. Or
is there a related word in Dutch and/or Afrikaans?

I believe we once had a South African by the name of Swanepoel on the List.