LL-L "Language varieties" 2008.09.07 (04) [E]

Mon Sep 8 03:58:42 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 07 September 2008 - Volume 04

From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2008.09.06 (05) [E]

Hi all,

Arthur, we do not refer to a Hoë or a Lae Afrikaans. However the teaching
variety is referred to as 'Standaard Afrikaans' to distinguish it from
"Streekstaal" varieties or dialectical variations.

Elsie Zinsser

From: "Arthur Jules Roonacker" <arthurjules at rogers.com>
Subject: Language Varieties - Flemish

[...] High Flemish), with dialect (Low Flemish), [...] I would like to hear
from our Flemish and Dutch friends as well as from our cousins in South
Africa  if they, by analogy are comfortable with 'High Afrikaans' and 'Low
Afrikaans'.

----------

From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2008.09.07 (02) [E]

Hi all,

I see the same happening here, now.

The other day, the Star newspaper reported on the murder of
singer/songwriter Taliep Peterson, and commented that one of the accused had
been speaking in "a slang Afrikaans".

However the quoted sentence was in Western-Cape Afrikaans.

Elsie Zinsser

Sandy Fleming wrote:

Which would make real Scots "Low Scots". Of course you realise
this means war  :)

Unfortunately those that prefer more fanciful forms of the language
often do so because they haven't been brought up speaking the real
language but the power language instead (in this case English), and as
far as Scots goes you can certainly see them making a hash of it.

Sandy Fleming
*http://scotstext.org/*

----------

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>

Beste Luc, Jules, All:

Subject: LL-L "Language varieties"

"I would like to hear from our Flemish and Dutch friends as well as from our
cousins in South Africa if they, by analogy are comfortable with 'High
Afrikaans' and 'Low Afrikaans'.

Speaking for Afrikaans, in the early seventies I attended a visitor's day at
Tukkies, in Pretoria, to see if I would like studying there. I noticed two
things that day. My peers up in the Transvaal fell in two groups. The
urbanised spoke a rather more streamlined Afrikaans, & though they
recognised & responded to such constructions as for example 'Aan 't gons'
(gossiping) they didn't use it much themselves. The more rural types from
the Western Transvaal & The Lowveld clove nearer to my practice. Also, a
good deal more English was used in urbanised Afrikaans conversations, This
didn't annoy because it wasn't used casually or thoughtlessly, but
deliberately, for effect, but they did. Us rural types seldom made so free,
& it seemed to me to be out of respect for the language (English as well as
Afrikaans) the townies didn't share.

& they showed this when I spoke up about something I disagreed with, &
rather than challenge me on point of fact (they knew I was right)
they objected to my input in another way, humourously saying, "Aaag, los
maar jou 'Hogere Afrikaans'. This phrease is used to prune the language of
people who affectedly favour constructions nearer to Algemeen Beskaafde
Nederlands than the alternative, which has general approval, in such as
style as this, "Man, ek praat Plat. So ook mag jy." if you really want to
cut him off at the ankles you could say "--- So ook mag u." Even so the
deferential form is used freely & without heat to those worthy of it.

One other thing I noticed was that well over half of the students hosting us
were of English South African families, though they used Afrikaans easily &
generally to open conversation. This preference was politically motivated,
it seemed to me. Bear in mind it was the early Seventies. Even so I still
find the same people around today, even more resolutely Afrikaans speaking.
& it isn't as though they know no better, they have nearly all been abroad.

Yrs,

Mark