LL-L "Names" 2008.09.11 (02) [E]

Fri Sep 12 02:35:32 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L - 11 September 2008 - Volume 02

From: Caennmohr at aol.com
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2008.09.11 (01) [D/E/LS]

My grandfather emigrated from Sweden to the US in the late 19th century and
was called "Swan" Johnson.  As a child, I found this to be an odd name for a
big burly man, but after my language studies, I always assumed that "Swan"
was a corrupted form of Sven (or one misspelled by immigration officials, as
commonly occurred).  This would certainly tie in with the Swanson-Svenson
connection suggested by Wolfram.  It would also correlate with Sandy's
Swansons in Scotland.  Certainly,the Scandinavian influence in parts of
Scotland is huge, with many families and clans claiming Norse heritage, as
I'm sure Sandy has mentioned in the past. With Scottish and Swedish
ancestry, my brother has suggested that our family is probably 95% Norse in
background...

Best regards,

Carolyn* [Wood]*

In a message dated 9/11/2008 4:45:44 P.M. Central Daylight Time,