LL-L "Resources" (06) [E]

Sat Sep 13 01:16:34 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L - 12 September 2008 - Volume 06

From: Montgomery Michael <ullans at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2008.09.12 (06) [Ap/E/S]

To those of Appalachian ilk and others besides,

If I might be immodest in making recommendations, I'd point to my
_Dictionary of Smoky Mountain English_ (U of Tennessee Press, 2004), which
is an 800-page historical work chock full of quotations from southern
Appalachian literature.  Some Jack tales are more authentic than others, but
just about all are highly stylized (that is, larded with artificial
dialect).  My favorite of the genre is Charles Taylor Adams' _Grandpap Says_
(1993).  For a remarkable collection of macabre stories, read Mildred Haun's
_The Hawk's Done Gone_ (1945, but reprinted much more recently by the Univ
Press of Kentucky).  I would also point listers to a website on Appalachain
speech I have created at www.cas.sc.edu/engl/dictionary.  It has half a
dozen papers I've written on mountain speech, but no doubt more important,
recordings of Smoky Mountain elders recorded in 1939 along with transcripts
of what they say (click on "Transcripts").  All this will get you'uns
started.

Michael Montgomery

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Dear Michael,

I've checked it out and found it to be a thing of beauty. Congratulations!

I guess this makes me an "other besides." Or?

Cheerio!