LL-L "Resources" 2008.09.12 (06) [Ap/E/S]

Fri Sep 12 23:31:48 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L - 12 September 2008 - Volume 06

From: "Marenich, Peggy" <Peggy.Marenich at thyssenkrupp.com>
Subject: Response #1

From:  Marsha  <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:  LL-L "Introduction" 2008.09.05 (04) [E]

Marsha Wilson wrote:

If you can, Peggy, I'd be beholden.  I'm of Appalachian roots, stranded
on the West Coast with family all passed.  I do also so enjoy the Scots
that's used here.  Welcome to our midst!

Marsha Wilson

Mt. Angel, Oregon

From: Arthur Jones <[log in to unmask]>

Arthur Jones wrote:

Loulanners,

Peggy writ hit right good and I thankee. Ar Ron, on thuther han, nudges
with a tar arn.

He otter sleep on a slag heap. An ye've ary a problem witheem, jus tell
me.

Sechs Jahre in Wien sind halb so schlimm.

Y'all come on in.

Roane County (Westbygod Virginny)

Arthur

Marsha and Arthur--

Thank you for your warm Appalachian welcome and apologies for the slow
response.  Where else but at Lowlands-L could one find Wien and
"Westbygod Virginny" within the lines of the same e-mail!

I have a question:  As yet I haven't progressed beyond reading some of
the Jack stories on-line, and I am wondering whether you might have any
recommendations as to good source material for Appalachian studies.  I
am interested in everything having to do with Appalachia:  language,
history (especially the history of the mining industry), traditions, and
traditional arts and crafts.

If there are any recommendations that you or other Appalachian Listers
would like to make, they would be most welcome.

Thanks and regards,

Peggy

P.S.  Arthur--I'll be sure to let you know if Ron gives me any trouble.
So far it has been entirely the other way around, but Ron has been most
gracious about it.