LL-L "Delectables" 2008.09.18 (02) [E]

Fri Sep 19 04:05:08 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 18 September 2008 - Volume 02

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2008.09.18 (01) [LS]

Re Kommum/Kardamum.:

Hi Heiko, & Ron. This from the vantage point of a cook rather than a
linguist.

In Dutch we have Komijn = Cumin en Kardemom of Kardamom = Cardamom. Although
the plants are not related, they were both foreign herbs that had to be
imported from Afrika. There may have been some misunderstanding about the
two, although their tastes are quite different.  In the northern part of the
Netherlands, especially in Friesland, they make the very delicious komijne
kaas, with the seeds from the Cumin plant, and I wonder what the Swedes and
the Finnish speakers have to contribute, because they use Cardamom quite
frequently in their pastries. Jacqueline

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Delectables

Thanks a lot, Jacqueline. Those are interesting considerations.

And then there is Low Saxon *koym* (*Kööm* [kʰœˑɪm], German* Kümmel*) for
'caraway', apparently related to the name "cumin". ("Cumin" is
*Kreuzkümmel*in German, but I don't know what it is in Low Saxon of
Germany.)  Caraway is
used a lot in Northern Germany, such as with cabbage, also in the notorious
gelatinous Harz cheese and other types of cheese, and as the flavor base of
*the* North German type of clear liquor, also called *Kööm* (in German as
well, albeit pronounced [kʰøːm] there).

By the way, cardamom may very well be my favorite spice, which, together
with the abundant use of garlic, may very well be the reason why Middle
Eastern cuisine belongs to my favorite cuisines alongside Japanese and
Chinese cuisine, followed by South Asian cuisine.