LL-L "Etymology" 2008.09.20 (01) [E]

Sat Sep 20 17:24:07 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L - 20 September 2008 - Volume 01

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.09.19 (03) [E]

>From Heather   heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk

Jonny  gave as an example of word play *'pillepalle'*

*'pillepalle'* is Welsh for butterfly!!!!

Heather

----------

From: Diederik Masure <didimasure at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2008.09.19 (04) [E]

>>From: Wolfram Antepohl <wolfram at antepohl.se>
>>Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2008.09.19 (02) [A/E]
>>Dear friends,

>>Jacqueline was asking for the Scandinavian perspective in this matter and
I-m afraid this will add to the confusion. Actually I had the same

>>association as Jacqueline. Swedish uses "kummin" and "kardemumma" and I
also thought "Kommum" might be "mixture". Strikingly

>>Swedish "kummin" is "caraway" (Carum carvi) in English while "spiskummin"
(literally "oven cumin") denotes "cumin" (Cuminum

>>cyminum). Both words found their way to Sweden via Lowland languages (LS
and/or Dutch). I may add that one of the most critical points

>>in my marriage was when my (Swedish) wife discovered I had mixed up
"kummin" and "spiskummin" when preparing a dinner for invited

>>guests (I didn't even know there was a difference then - NOW i know).

>>Greetings

>>Wolfram

Are you sure "spiskummin" means 'oven cumin'? In Norwegian it's written
"spisskummen", from "spiss", Dutch "spits", meaning something like 'pointy'.
So litterally "pointy caraway".
Norw:
cumin = spisskummen OR spisskarve

caraway = kummin OR karve (in both cases karve/kummin can be freely
interchanged)

Greetings, Diederik