LL-L "Resources" 2008.09.25 (01) [E]

Thu Sep 25 18:19:14 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L - 25 September 2008 - Volume 01

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2008.09.23 (01) [D/E]

Hello Ron and the other lowlanders.

Sign of the times? I just heard that Bellevue Community College (also known
as Microsoft territory in the Pacific North-West)

is giving a course of Scottish Gaelic starting October 7th. Any takers?
Regards Jacqueline

----------

From: Wesley Parish <wes.parish at paradise.net.nz>
Subject: LL-L "History" - Bremen cog et alii

Hi.

I'm interested in a vessel called the cog, a Friesian/Saxon vessel, it
appears, the workhorse of the Hanseatic League, and the inspiration for the
Mediteranean carrack, which, mated with the Hispanic/Maghreb xebec/caravel,
produced the galleon, which after much effort, produced the modern ship.

There's been a cog found in Bremen, and several replicas built; there's been
cog found in Denmark, an earlier vintage, and various bits and pieces
archeologists have discovered at various times and places.

I'm thinking, I can't be the only person who'd like to have a central
resource
for this vessel.  (Among other things, I have yet to find a site that has
its
lines - I'm hoping one of these days to built a half-sized replica, so that
when people tell me to get lost, I can comply for once! ;)

Thanks

Wesley Parish
-----
Gaul is quartered into three halves.  Things which are
impossible are equal to each other.  Guerrilla
warfare means up to their monkey tricks.
Extracts from "Schoolboy Howlers" - the collective wisdom
of the foolish.
-----
Mau e ki, he aha te mea nui?

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Hi, Everyone!

Thanks for the announcement, Jacqueline! Good news! Isn't it also at BCC
that you teach Dutch? Are you still? If so, you might want to tell us about
it again. We have several Lowlands-L members in and around the Greater
Seattle area and some may be interested.

Wes! It was great to hear from you again! I'm all with you. There ought to
be a central resource for the old Hanseatic cog (*Kogge*), and I'm surprised
there isn't one. Did you do any German searches? I'll poke around some and
let you know if I find anything of substance.

Folks, you may remember that a few days ago I suggested that we have a
special web page series that showcases LL-L members' off-list resources,
such as web pages and printed or recorded publications. Well, I' happy to
announce that a start has been made and so far four members are featured:

*http://lowlands-l.net/resources/*

I hope you'll like it and more of you will answer the call. I know that
quite a few of you have great resources out there and ought to be
participating. After all, this is free advertising.

Let me recap:

   - *Featured resources do not necessarily have to be related to the
   interest focus of Lowlands-L.*
   Yes, you're welcome to even link to your family albums, pictures of
   vacation trips, the patterns of your knitting, cooking recipes, whatever ...
   - *We can link to organizations in which you are active.*

I am open to suggestions and further submissions. Just send them to me (
sassisch at yahoo.com) under "LL-L Resources".

Thanks to you who have answered the call so far!