LL-L "Resources" 2008.09.25 (02) [E]

Thu Sep 25 21:35:42 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 25 September 2008 - Volume 02

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2008.09.25 (01) [E]

Groete Alle,

I don't know if this has been raised by anyone before, but someone on
another list I belong to posted this link to site for learning the two
branches of Frisian:

Paul Finlow-Bates

http://www.allezhop.de/frysk/seelter/

----------

From: Wolfram Antepohl <wolfram at antepohl.se>

Hi Wesley!

You may find these sites interesting: http://www.koggmuseet.se/ and
http://www.hansekogge.de/. They are in Swedish and German respectively, but
alltogether dedicated to the cog. There´s quite som contact information -
maybe those are the people to get in touch with when thinking of a central
resource.

Btw, the "hansekogge"-site  mentions that the word "kogge" is related to a
comman LL word for mussel. I found "kokkel"/"kokhaan" in Dutch. Anybody
aware of other LL cognates?

Greetings

Wolfram

From: Wesley Parish <wes.parish at paradise.net.nz>
Subject: LL-L "History" - Bremen cog et alii

Hi.

I'm interested in a vessel called the cog, a Friesian/Saxon vessel, it
appears, the workhorse of the Hanseatic League, and the inspiration for the
Mediteranean carrack, which, mated with the Hispanic/Maghreb xebec/caravel,
produced the galleon, which after much effort, produced the modern ship.

There's been a cog found in Bremen, and several replicas built; there's been
cog found in Denmark, an earlier vintage, and various bits and pieces
archeologists have discovered at various times and places.

I'm thinking, I can't be the only person who'd like to have a central
resource
for this vessel.  (Among other things, I have yet to find a site that has
its
lines - I'm hoping one of these days to built a half-sized replica, so that
when people tell me to get lost, I can comply for once! ;)

Thanks

Wesley Parish

--

Wolfram Antepohl