LL-L "Language varieties" 2009.04.03 (01) [E]

Fri Apr 3 19:45:56 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 03 April 2009 - Volume 01

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Dear Lowlanders,

Lately several people joined us (and welcome to today's newbie from
Lancashire!) that indicate Scots and specifically Shetlandic as their
particular interest. However, our Sandy – the recent holder-high of the
Scots flag – being currently missing in action, no one seems to be game to
start a Scots and/or Shetlandic thread. How about it? Dinna be feart, fowk!

To kick off the game – perhaps – let me find out what the prevailing opinion
is among you is. Is Shetlandic a dialect group within the Scots language or
should it be seen as a separate language? The more I look at Shetlandic the
more I wonder if it should not be considered a separate language on account
of its numerous rather very different features, most of which seem to be due
to a Scandinavian (Norn) substratum. And then what about Orcadian? Should
the two together be seen as "Insular Scots"? Should they even
*be*considered a group?

Seattle, USA