LL-L "Projects" 2009.04.03 (04) [E]

Fri Apr 3 22:46:32 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 03 April 2009 - Volume 04

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Projects

Lowlanders,

Here is a postscript to my message (appeal) earlier today. (See below.)
Please bear with me.

In my personal wish list I forgot to mention Kashubian (a.k.a., Cassubian, *
Kaschubisch*, *kaszëbsczi*, *kaszubski*). This remnant of the Slavic
Pomeranian language is quite relevant to the Lowlands focus in that it, and
especially fairly recently extinct Slovincian (*słowińsczi*, *Slowinzisch*,
*Lebakaschubisch*), has been strongly influenced by Low Saxon. Substrata of
it exist in the Low Saxon dialects of Eastern Pomerania (among which the
Mennonite dialects constitute the only viable remnants). Western Slavic
Pomeranian has been extinct for quite some time, but substrata of it
undoubtedly exist in the Low Saxon dialects of Western Pomerania (of which
the better part is in today's Germany). Data from Kashubian and Slovincian
(if you consider them two separate languages) are therefore very much of
interest.

The Baltic languages Lithuanian and Latvian, too, as well as the endangered
Finnic Livonian language (*Līvõ kēļ*) are of great interest for similar
reasons, although they seem to have somewhat less Low Saxon but more German
influence than Pomeranian and Estonian.

On a slightly different note, please make an effort to add to our collection
further Lowlands language varieties. For instance, I happen to know that a
number of you have command of hitherto not represented English dialects. Do
not let spelling stand in your way! In most cases there are no rules anyway,
and you are covered if you add a sound recording.

As to other languages, I should also mention the following desirable
languages that (on the basis of their names and/or places of residence) I
know or suspect some of our members know: Arabic (various dialects),
Bengali, Dari, Dzongkha, Swiss Alemannic, Tajik, Thai, Tibetan.

If you do not wish to publish your translations and sound files under your
real names it is possible to disguise your identities. Just "talk" to me.

Please bear in mind that this is an educational service. Lots of people from
all over the world visit these pages everyday, and a number of other sites
(including those of educational institutions) link to them.

Thanks and regards,

Ron

Seattle, USA

***

As I mentioned a couple of days ago (Administrativia), this is a
particularly good time for you to pay renewed attention to our Anniversary
project and to consider adding translations and sound files to it:

http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/

You can find the list of so far represented language varieties here:

http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/contents.php

The list is available in the following languages as well: Chinese
(traditional and simplified), Dutch, French, German, Japanese, Portuguese,
Spanish, Russian, and Malay-Indonesian.

Here are some basic things to remember:

   - Please send any translation and/or sound recording to me (
   sassisch at yahoo.com).
   - Preferred sound formats are MP3 and WAVE.
   Of course, Lowlands language varieties are top priority, but this is a
   celebration of language generally, so *any* language variety may be
   represented.
   - More than one version in any given language variety is more than
   welcome.
   - Top at my current personal wish list: Orcadian, Shetlandic, North
   Frisian, Lithuanian, Latvian, Slovenian, Croatian, Bosnian, Montenegrin,
   Basque.

Thanks and regards,

Ron

Seattle, USA