LL-L "Projects" 2009.04.04 (01) [E]

Sat Apr 4 16:27:25 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 04 April 2009 - Volume 01

From: Jim Millar <jim.millar at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2009.04.03 (01) [E]

Dear Ron

What about the variety of Scots spoken in Ulster.  Brought to the US by the
Scotch Irish.  Does it still have any linguistic integrity in the US?

Jim

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Dear Jim,

I believe this is your debut. (Please forgive me if it is not.) Welcome
among the “vocal” participants!

I am definitely not anything even approaching an expert on Scots. But I have
a very soft spot for it.

I do believe that the status of Ulster Scots (Ullans) is somewhat
controversial. While most people consider it a dialect group of Scots
generally some people in Northern Ireland want to see it as a separate
language, apparently for political reasons. Maybe someone can explain this
in more detail.

Thanks for reminding me of Ulster Scots in connection with my anniversary
project appeal, Jim. Indeed, we ought to have a version of the story in it.
Surely some of our members at least *know *some people that could help us
with that. The same goes for various English varieties of Ireland in
general. Also, we should have sound recordings of Scottish English and Scots
versions. Lots of people write me and ask for them. There’s a lot of
interest in this sort of thing.

http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/

Seattle, USA