LL-L "Language varieties" 2009.04.04 (02) [E]

Sat Apr 4 18:28:27 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 04 April 2009 - Volume 02

From: bsu295 at bangor.ac.uk
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2009.04.03 (01) [E]

Hello Other Lowlanders,

If truth be told I would consider Shetlandic to be a seperate Language from
what I know and what I understand of it. However I am some what new to all
this Language business. My back ground is as a Zoologist and Conservationist
with a more genetics based back ground. So Languages are newish to me. I
have really only just become interested over the past few years. So hence my
opions and my back ground knowledge is limited.

I do agree that there are some very distinct differnces between other
Lallans varieties and Both Shetlandic and Orcadian, and from what I know of
it it does seam to hold alot more Scandanavian, both Norn and potentially
more modern Scandanavian words due to more recent dealings, in the same way
Northumbrian is associated with Danish and too Lancastrian and Cumbrian hold
alotof old Norsk words. I would be more tempted to put at least Insular
Scots as a seperate Language, with the two forms being Dialects. However I
have even less knowledge of Orcadian. Its is most probable that both
Orcadian and Shetlandic could beclssed as two seperate Languages, espcially
due to there isolation. Howvever I am unsure.

One problem with it does remain however. I was recently reading about how
many Ullans fowk still seek for there Ulsters scots to be classed as a
seperate language from scots. I understand their view as I know that I would
love Lancastrian and all other English Dialects to have more recognition and
potentially to gain Languagre statues. This has happened to a large extent
through-out the Iberian peninsula. Which truthfully I find great. It is much
easier to preserve a way of speach   (wether actually a language or a
dialect) if they are classed as a language. Although with the state that
Scots isin at the moment I think to push for such a change is
incomprehensible. There may be great numbers of speaks of scots, in the same
way there are probly millions of folk who would be considered Speakers of
Gud owld Lanky (Lancastrian), but the way they speak is far from what it
once was. With each generation comes a greater assimilation with standard
English (that meks us reet Miffed). Hence I find the idea of segregating
themselves insane. The language wouldnt survive on its own, and in all truth
of the matter Idoubt insular scots would neither. Its a great shame I do
think.

This is what has and is still happeningto the English Dialects.
Everyone wants to preserve them but its next to impossible to do so.

With this in mind and Shetlndic aside, are any of you involved in any such
group in England that deals with poreserving a local dialect, such as FOND
(Friend Of Norffolk Dialect) or Lancashire dialect sosiety or Northumbrian
dialect society (I dont know what its called)? I am curious as to speak to
them about what things are in place and being used in such schemes? And I
would like to know if there are actually and joint efforts between the
groups orif there ever was any past colaborations. Sorry to stear completely
away from the original subject.

Anyway, Please do tell me more,
Hope you are all well

Gregg [Ashcroft]

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Hi, Gregg!

I believe this is a debut for you as well. Congratulations, thanks and
welcome! It's great you joined us.

Most likely you’ll find that zoological and linguistic genealogy share more
than you expected.

Seattle, USA