LL-L "Media" 2009.04.17 (04) [E]

Fri Apr 17 16:59:20 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 17 April 2009 - Volume 04

From: clarkedavid8 at aol.com
Subject: LL-L "Media" 2009.04.17 (03) [E

 What about Britain: has a continental series ever been aired? Thinking of
German stuff like Derrick or Tatort for example.

 Or is this question even less valid then asking why China will not import a
Kung Fu movie made in Luxemburg any time soon?

 Some probably think they have a patent on drama.

 Kind greetings,

 Luc Hellinckx

Immediately come to mind on British TV: "Les rois maudits", a French
historical series showed in Britain in the 1970s with lots of sex and
violence (based on a book by Maurice Druon who has just died) They should
re-air it - I think it was probably better than The Tudors. Also West
German "Das Boot" has been shown on British TV, as have innumerable French
films. Also long ago, repeatedly French series Belle and Sebastian, Robinson
Crusoe and a series about a French crusader in the Holy Land (probably very
politically incorrect by todays standards). Also "The singing ringing tree"
from the GDR.

David Clarke

----------

From: Antero Helasvuo <antero.helasvuo at welho.com>

Lowlands-L List kirjoitti:

> Just out of curiosity: has American or Canadian public TV ever broadcast
> shows that were not produced by native English speakers? Mexico? Brazil? I
> rarely watch TV, but I remember that in the eighties a Brazilian series
> "Isaura" was quite a hit on Belgian TV.
> What about Britain: has a continental series ever been aired? Thinking of
> German stuff like Derrick or Tatort for example.

 Luc Hellinckx

> ----------
>
> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com <mailto:sassisch at yahoo.com>>
> Subject: Media
>
> As far as non-English-language shows are concerned, you need to bear in
> mind that the vast majority of English speakers are not used to subtitles
> and hate them when they encounter them.
>
> Also, the above-mentioned shows are all comedy series and rely to a very
> high degree on language play and culture-specific humor, especially those of
> Britain.

Virtually all of the aforementioned British shows as well as for example
"Absolutely Fabulous" enjoy a great popularity and many reruns in Finland,
where all foreign teeveedrama is subtitled. The work is done by a body of
translators who know their British wit through and through thus being able
to handle wordplay and substitute metaphors with native equivalents. And
even if part of the jokes are impossible to interpret, there is always fun
galore for everybody to enjoy. With subtitling you have the full benefit of
hearing the original voices as well as being able to understand what is
being said.

--
Antero Helasvuo
Luutnantinpolku 9 C 20

TEL +358 9 5872345
antero.helasvuo at welho.com

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
 Subject: Media

Another thing, Luc and the rest of you lot ...

Here in the States we have Spanish language stations that offer all sorts of
programs from throughout the US and the rest of the Spanish-speaking world.
Some TV novellas are from Brazil and are dubbed in Spanish.

Also, there are other "ethnic" TV channels and also programs on public
access channels with shows (including movies and news) in various languages,
such as Arabic, Cantonese, Farsi, Finnish, French, German, Hebrew, Italian,
Indian languages, Japanese, Korean, Mandarin, Russian, Scandinavian and
Thai. Some of the movies they show come with subtitles. Much depends on
regional and local setups and ethnic predominance.

Seattle, USA