LL-L "Traditions" 2009.04.18 (01) [E]

Sat Apr 18 17:57:00 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 18 April 2009 - Volume 01

From: G Tighe <tighe at sympatico.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Traditions" 2009.04.16 (04) [E]

Ron Wrote:

"Should any of our Lowlanders have been visiting a different planet while
this was going on, here are three video clips to fill you in:"

I confess!

And thank you Ron for the Links.
Gerald Tighe

----------

From: Tom Mc Rae <thomas.mcrae at bigpond.com>
Subject: LL-L "Traditions" 2009.04.17 (02) [E]

On 18/04/2009, at 12:15 AM,  Martha-Luise Lessing <marless at gmx.de> wrote:

while I was a student at Hamburg University, I was an excessive visitor of
Hamburg's many and excellent theatres, because students could get unsold
tickets, even the best seats, for 11 DM (DM then!) 1/2 hour before the
performance began.

Takes me back many years to my army service days. At 4pm daily London's
Nuffield Centre, a club exclusively for service personnel and nurses, would
start issuing vouchers for unsold theatre tickets FREE OF CHARGE. All we had
to do was exchange the voucher for a ticket at the relevant theatre to get
the best seats in the House. Other special
offers also turned up at times. Believe it or not I was once co-opted to be
part of a chorus backing Britain's Beverley Sisters in a recording for which
I was paid
5 pounds sterling. Song title "It's Illegal, It's Immoral, Or It Makes You
Fat".

Well, in the theatres it was quite usual to rise while applauding a very
fine performance.

According to Graham Abbot, a veteran Australian conductor with 70 "Messiahs"
under his  belt ,orchestras and conductors loathe the idiotic practice of
the entire audience
rising when the Hallelujah chorus is played during this oratorio. (Not this
fellah, I remain seated to many hostile gazes.) Story goes that when King
George
whoever attended the first performance he rose to his feet either in
admiration or because he thought they were playing "God Save the King". This
is a total fallacy
as the premier performance of Handel's magnificent work was held in Dublin.
All this silly custom does is disrupt every performance, first audience
rises like sheep shuffling and clattering then at the conclusion they babble
to one another as they sit down.
This mass stupidity disrupts every performance of Handel's masterpiece, has
no historic foundation, and orchestras wish it would go away. If you attend
a performance of this might work STAY SEATED and glower at the morons who
stand.

  Regards
Tom Mc Rae
Brisbane