LL-L "Etymology" 2009.04.21 (03) [E]

Tue Apr 21 15:54:55 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 21 April 2009 - Volume 03

From: Felix Hülsey <felix.huelsey at gmx.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

Hi all,

re "schichtig kieken":

I don't have any books at hand right now, but I seem to remember that in
Dutch, "lightning" can be translated as "bliksemschicht", at least in more
poetic usage.

I am not sure what exactly "schicht" refers to here, the sudden light
perhaps? Or the shock factor? What do the Dutch native speakers think?

Sorry if this has been said already, I'm waaaay behind on my Lowlands-mails
unfortunately...

Cheers
Felix