LL-L "Etymology" 2009.04.29 (05) [E]

Wed Apr 29 22:31:35 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 29 April 2009 - Volume 05

From: Kevin & Cheryl Caldwell <kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.04.29 (04) [E/LS/German]

Since this started as a discussion of the origin of English “weenie” or
“weeny,” as in “teeny weeny,” I thought I’d mention that, for some usages of
“weenie,” the origin is a little less esoteric – it’s just short for
“wiener,” as in “hot dog, frankfurter.”  The dish known as beans and franks
is also called beanie-weenies.  And when you call someone a weenie, you’re
actually using a children’s slang term for the male sex organ (again, from
“wiener”).

Kevin Caldwell

Laurel, MD