LL-L "Etymology" 2009.04.29 (04) [E/LS/German]

Wed Apr 29 21:04:13 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 29 April 2009 - Volume 04

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.04.29 (03) [E/LS]

>From Heather Rendall heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk

Subject: Etymology

My Etymologisches Wörterbuch (Kluge) is, I know, old - 1953 but it has
'wenig' as:- Ableitung von 'weinen', somit urspringlich 'beweinenswert',
elend' und erst von da zu 'unbedeutend, klein' entwickelt.

It makes no reference to derivation from 'weh' and I can't find any
reference to 'wenig' listed under the entry for 'weh'.

It would explain the 'n'.

best wishes

Heather

Worcester UK