LL-L "Places" 2009.08.02 (03) [EN]

Sun Aug 2 19:59:40 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 02 August 2009 - Volume 03
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Diederik Masure <didimasure at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language history" 2009.08.02 (02) [EN]

Ron wrote: P.S.: Diederik, have you checked out the Hanseatic Museum and
other Hanseatic sites in Bergen (e.g. Bryggen, St. John's Church)?
Folks, check out Bryggen, the old Hanseatic quarters, with a video as well:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryggen

-> Not yet this time, but as i lived here 2-1 years ago and been here other
times before, I've seen most important places and museums, although I don't
remember much from the Hanseatic museum 3 years ago, might visit it again.
But Bryggen I see almost weekly:) I live nearly behind Johanneskirken, and
university is right next to it (more commonly know as 'the red church'), but
is it Hanseatic? According to wiki it was built in the 19th century, and
it's not even close to Bryggen either.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_John's_Church,_Bergen<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_John%27s_Church,_Bergen>
Maybe you mean St Mary's church, which is more or less in Bryggen? (the only
one I know there)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Mary%27s_Church,_Bergen
Built before the Hanze, but apparently also called Tyskekirken ('the
Germans' church') sinc the Hanseatics made use of it.

Diederik

I live nearly behind Johanneskirken, and university is right next to it
(more commonly know as 'the red church'), but is it Hanseatic? According to
wiki it was built in the 19th century, and it's not even close to Bryggen
either.

Oops! I guess its style is Neo-Brick-Gothic then, very common in Northern
Germany.

Seattle, USA