LL-L "Names" 2009.08.05 (01) [EN]

Wed Aug 5 16:25:23 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 05 August 2009 - Volume 01
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2009.08.04 (02) [EN]

from Heather Rendall  heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk

re Books on Toponomy

For British names I would recommend not just the Oxford Dictionary of Place
Names ed Ekwall but also Margaret Gelling "Placenames in the Landscape"
which cleverly matches geographic drawings to their appropriate name,
revealing that each word for 'wood' or 'hill' etc described a variation of
geographic differentiation and that our ancestors were most particular about
calling any place by its correct  description.

(I know it's one of those myths but...) it's not just the Innuit that have20
different words for snow! We had 20+ words for river depending on whether it
was seasonal ( bourne), muddy ( brook) pebbly ( batch) etc etc ditto for
types of hill and woods and ridges and slopes and ............

Heather

Worcester UK