LL-L "Tradition" 2009.08.10 (03) [DE-EN]

Mon Aug 10 15:50:01 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 10 August 2009 - Volume 03
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Hannelore Hinz <HanneHinz at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Tradition" 2009.08.10 (01) [EN-NL]

Falls es sich um den abendlichen Sandmann handelt, möchte ich auf jeden Fall
folgendes einblenden:

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaas_Vaak

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandm%C3%A4nnchen

Man hat so seine Freude.

Hanne

----------

From: R. F. Hahn
<sassisch at yahoo.com<http://uk.mc264.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=sassisch@yahoo.com>

Subject: Tradition

Ja, ja, liebe Hanne. Du hast sicherlich recht.

Folks, apparently the Klaas Vaak figure Luc and Jacqueline mentioned is, as
assumed by Hanne, a part of a larger complex of mythological figures that
induce sleep.

The German *Sandmann* or (diminutive) *Sandmännchen* (Low Saxon *Sandmann*or
*Sandseier* ["Sand Sower"]) is a much beloved figure in children's
literature. It goes back a long time longer than the long-running *
Sandmännchen* series on German TV (both East and West).

Here I have a question. Is the Sandman or a similar figure traditional in
English-speaking countries outside North America? (By "traditional" I mean
"folkloristic, aside from versions borrowed from American literature, media
and popular songs".) If the Sandman started in North America, I wonder if he
started as a German import.)

The Danish figure Ole Lukøje (Lukøje "Shut-Eye", Norwegian *Ole Lukkøye*)
apparently existed before Hans Christian Andersen featured him in one of his
lesser-known tales. Other members of this club are the Swedish Jon Blund (~
John Blund) and the French *marchand de sable* ("Sand Trader"). In Israel,
the Sandman continues his existence as איש החול (Ish haKhol), a direct
import and translation from German.

These characters have been regarded as going back to Morpheus, the Greek god
of sleep, and as being related with mythological figures representing death.

Seattle, USA