LL-L "Traditions" 2009.08.11 (07) [EN]

Wed Aug 12 01:52:34 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 11 August 2009 - Volume 07
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Tom Mc Rae <thomas.mcrae at bigpond.com>
Subject: LL-L "Traditions" 2009.08.11 (03) [EN]

On 12/08/2009, at 3:24 AM, Sandy Fleming <sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk> wrote:

I wouldn't recommend drawing conclusions from my comments on the Sandman:
although I spoke at a national level I was only talking about personal
experiences so the samples involved are small.

It could just be that the people I've met who know about it just read it in
Hans Christian Andersen!

I heard it as an infant from my father, which is why I'd originally thought
of it as something everybody knew.

I can give Ye a few years or three Sandy, I knew about the Sandman by the
late 1930's think both parents told me about him coming by. The Sandman tale
was expanded in Victorian times by a childrens' poem called "Wee Willie
Winkie" by William Miller. As to Germany I think it was Brahms who wrote a
beautiful lullaby based on the Sandman...."Lullaby, lullaby, my own my
Darling child"
A popular American song of the early 1950's started optimistically...
"Mr Sandman, make me a dream,
Make her complexion like peaches and cream,
Give her two lips like roses in clover,
Tell me my lonely lonely nights are over."

In 1979 the SF story "Logan's Run" was made into a successful movie starring
Michael York and the voluptuous Jennie Agguter.
It concerned a human paradise under a sealed dome where one could have
anything at all except a 30th birthday.
Those trying to escape were hunted down and shot by Secret Police known as
The Sandmen.

Regards
 Tom Mc Rae
Brisbane