LL-L "Names" 2009.08.19 (03) [EN]

Thu Aug 20 01:47:25 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 19 August 2009 - Volume 03
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: LUCAS ANNEAR <annear at wisc.edu>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2009.08.19 (01) [EN]

Ron,

I work in an office (in Wisconsin) where I see a couple of hundred last
names an a slow day, a thousand or more on some days.  Looking in our
database, we have over 200 people with the last name of Hahn.  I do see Hahn
quite often!

Lucas Annear
Madison, Wisconsin, USA

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Names

Thanks loads, Luke. That figures, especially in Wisconsin with its
particularly high percentage of people of German background.

Add to this all the people called Haan, de Haan and so forth, mostly people
with roots mostly in the Netherlands, some of them in Belgium and Germany.

A couple of weekends ago I bought some clothes in a department store. As I
handed the cashier my card he said he was ready to charge it to "the party".
"What party?" "The Hahn party." "I don't know about that." "Oh, I thought
you were with those folks there." It turned out that the couple was ordering
clothes for a wedding under the name Hahn.

I chatted with them. The paternal side of t he gentleman was from central
Lower Saxony and arrived in the US three generations ago.

There must be a nest somewhere ...

Seattle, USA