LL-L "Etymology" 2009.08.27 (01) [EN]

Thu Aug 27 15:10:53 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 27 August 2009 - Volume 01
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/
From: Wesley Parish <wes.parish at paradise.net.nz>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

I've just been investigating various ancient European musical instruments
such
as the shawm and the crumhorn, a cousin of which - the Scottish bagpipe
chanter - I learnt to play at High School, and I came across an instrument,
an ancestor it may be, of the bassoon, rejoicing in the name of kortholt -
short wood.
FWIW, there is a similar instrument, or maybe a development of it, rejoicing
in the names of curtal and dulcian, which did develop into the bassoon.
Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kortholt refers to High German
with "The name comes from the German kurz (becoming kort) meaning short and
holz (becoming holt) meaning wood."  But I'm thinking that it looks too
Lowlandish for that, and is probably either Dutch or Low Saxon in origin.
What do people think?  (And by the bye, pop on over and take a look at:
http://www.essentialvermeer.com/index.html  Share and Enjoy! ;)
Wesley Parish
-----
George Kelischek - "To impress those high-tech computer types,
tell them what an Ocarina really is:
an animal-activated-solid-state-multi-frequency-sound-synthesizer."
-----
Mau e ki, he aha te mea nui?