LL-L "Etymology" 2009.08.27 (02) [EN]

Thu Aug 27 17:18:01 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 27 August 2009 - Volume 02
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.08.27 (01) [EN]

Dear Wesley,
you wrote about

kortholt -
short wood.

 I'm thinking that it looks too
Lowlandish for that, and is probably either Dutch or Low Saxon in origin.

I fully agree with you!

 Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Me too! Me too!

If it were Old or Middle (High) German it would be *kurzholz*.

If it came from these, we need to assume that it is a Low Saxon or Low
Frankish calque (i.e. loan translation). If *kortholt* were an Old Dutch
loan in English it would have been imported before the *olt* > *out* shift.
I'm inclined to assume that it is a Middle Saxon laon.

Seattle, USA