LL-L "Etymology" 2009.11.30 (06) [EN]

Tue Dec 1 00:20:57 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 30 November 2009 - Volume 06

From: Jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.11.29 (02) [EN]

 Dear Lowlanners,

perhaps you remember our discussion about the way on which we got the word E
:'church' , DE 'Kirche' into our languages - because we know it is a
derivation of κυριακόν (*kuriakón* "the Lord's")

or better, as Ron stated, of κυριακή (*kuriakē * "of the Lord").

Very interesting thought, Reinhard, when you write:

The earliest Greek-speaking communities in Germanic-speaking areas were
probably Jews that followed the Romans.

But - maybe I've got another surprising theory.

.

Today I made some more investigations and discovered a very interesting fact
- the Irish/Scottish way to Christianity went via the Eastern christian
communities, not via Rome!!

de.wiktionary says:

>> Das keltische Christentum weist viele Wesenszüge des vornizäanischen
Christentums auf, >> es dürfte näher mit den Ostkirchen, der heutigen
orthodoxen Kirche als mit der römischen >> Westkirche verwandt gewesen sein.

(English: "The Celtic Christendom shows many characteristics of the
pre-nizaeanic Christianity; it should have been related closer to the
Eastern Churches, todays Orthodox, than to the Roman Western Church.")

And further:

>> Die keltischen Klöster legten großen Wert auf das Studium der Bibel,
Irland bekam den

>> Ruf der „Insel der Heiligen und Gelehrten“. Karl der Große lud aus diesem
Grund viele

>> irische Gelehrte an seinen Hof.

(English: "The celtic monasteries placed value on the studies of the holy
bible, Ireland thus got the halo as an "Island of the Holies". Charlemagne
for this reason invited many Irish scholars to his residence.")

So the well-known influence of Irish and Scottish missionares on the
continental Germanic folks brought the *'kirke'* with it (even supported by
the Mightiest of the Mighty - Charly), and this fact also explains that '*
kirke'* appears in Britain nearly at the same time as on the continent.

But at last one question is still to clarify - how did the Scottish and
Irish monks (and folks) get into contact with the Greeks? Ireland as well as
Scotland never were part of the Imperium Romanum, so perhaps it was
a tradition of pre-Roman trading contacts??!

One new question every day...

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm

Lower Saxony, Germany