LL-L "Delectables" 2009.12.14 (01) [EN]

Mon Dec 14 22:55:48 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 14 December 2009 - Volume 01

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2009.12.13 (04) [EN]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Delectables
>
> Thanks, Sandy.
>
> That sounds very much like English plum pudding (a.k.a. Christmas
> pudding) to me, also prepared months in advance and traditionally
> eaten in this season. The sauce it's served with tends to contain a
> good bit of booze.

Not really, a lot of fruit things are made by the the "seal up and leave
to mature" method, including Christmas cake. Black bun is quite dry,
like fruit cake, and you eat it as a cake, ie, from hand to mouth.

Plum pudding is soft-ish and served with brandy sauce and fire. Brandy
sauce is certainly very nice, right up there with my other favourite
English inventions like cider, perry and champagne  :)

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
 Subject: Delectables

Thanks, Sandy.

I bet someone in Scotland has already come across the idea of deep-frying
black bun along with everything else under the sun.

Seattle, USA