LL-L "Language promotion" 2009.12.30 (05) [EN]

Thu Dec 31 00:23:53 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 30 December 2009 - Volume 05

From: M.-L. Lessing <marless at gmx.de>
Subject: LL-L "Language promotion" 2009.12.30 (03) [EN]

 Hello Marcus & Reinhard!

Thank you, Reinhard, for the Yiddish link. It is perfectly understandable
:-), and obviously all the videos are on Youtube as well. So they use
several platforms simultaneaously.

Marcus, you write: "So we won't get a TV station anytime soon. That's not
realistic without major changes. But it's still _necessary_ if we want Low
Saxon to prosper." This sounds desolate. Do you mean to say that Low Saxon
has done, since there won't be a TV station? Let us not give in so easily! I
am confident Platt can be kept up without a TV station. Hanne, before she
left the thread, was very positive it could; I think she may be right,
although a TV station would be a fine thing to have. Let us not demand the
moon and otherwise resign. Let us find small steps that really can be taken.
What can be done with the energies and money that now *are *in the pd.
issue? Forgive me if this has been discussed many times before in this
forum; but it looks to me we are up to something concrete, something that
can be *done*, and I would love to know what it is.

Your remarks about the centrifugal development sound quite plausible.
Suppose we had settled what the "center" of Platt should be, what could be
done about this? It sounds like an organizing and communicating issue to me.
Now I am a member of the pd. Raad för Sleswig-Holsteen
http://www.heimatbund.de/niederdeutsch/ndrat.php. This board has done some
very good work in school politics lately; in some other respects they are
more conventional and rather slow. But I learned that the Raad in
Sleswig-Holsteen is the most active of all Bundesländer; most other northern
german Bundesländer have only crippled versions or no pd. Raad at all. In
Hamborg however things seem to be changing. Maybe there are other pd. "lobby
groups" in other regions, in or outside Germany, that might "represent" the
pd. community of their region. Could anything be done by a common movement
of such organizations? I admit I am quite a failure at penetrating
administrative structures & bureaucracies. But at best such a movement might
even exert pressure as to (the money needed for) better media presence of
Platt...

Thoughtful greetings,

Marlou

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
 Subject: Language promotion

You're welcome, Marlou.

"Perfectly understandable"?! Are you sure?

Well, I guess the subject matter kept the number of words from Hebrew,
Aramaic and Slavic down, so you may have guessed their meaning within the
given contexts. But I remember frequent use of Hebrew-derived expressions
like *bekhlal* (< Hebrew *bekhlal* בכלל) 'in general', *avade* (< Hebrew *
waday* ודאי) 'of course', 'certainly', 'definitely', *mekhaber* (< Hebrew *
meHaber* מחבר) 'author', and *koydem-kol* (< Hebrew *qodem-kol* קודם כל )
'first of all'. Guessing those would have been difficult. Was that what the
smiley was about?

Guten Rutsch!

Reinhard/Ron
Seattle, USA