LL-L "Syntax" 2009.02.03 (03) [A/E]

Tue Feb 3 21:15:19 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 03 February 2009 - Volume 04

From: Cliff Smuts <csmuts at xsinet.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Syntax" 2009.02.03 (03) [E]

From: Cliff Smuts csmuts at xsinet.co.za

Hi you all

Just read the interesting syntax re posessive (genitiv) construction and
would like to give some info on this in Afrikaans

Afrikaans is a modern language which developed in South Africa from some
time after ±1700, and has srrong roots with dutch (obviously dialectic
dutch). It i also a much less complicated language, with very few tenses,
dativ, nomibative, genitive and accusative suffixes etc

in Afrrikaans we say 'vader se skoene', 'hond se ore', 'motor se wiel' etc.,
although I remeber that we were taught at school (ages ago) that this form
should preferably only be used when a living (person or thing) is the
possessor. ButI experienc that the 'se' construction is used for almost
anything.  In other word we use he se particle in most cases where we want
to show possession or belonging to. We also have the form 'die poot van die
tafel', 'die dak van die huis', and even 'die hoed van my ma', in other
words van also shows possession. This form, which corresponds with the
'vvon',  is however, much less used.

Groete (i.s greetings/ regards/ grüßen, etc).uit Suid-Afrika

Cliff

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject:: Syntax

Haai, Cliff!

Welkom by Lowlands-L en in ons "sprekershoek", albei op die selfde dag!

Ek het verwag dat iemand al 'n bietjie vroeër verduidelik dat daardie
struktuur normaal en sonder beperkings is in Afrikaans. Maar ons ander
Suid-Afrikaners moet buite wees om tuinmaak, swem, braais en ander
someraktiwiteite te geniet. Dus baie dankie, Cliff. Jy kry die prys, en dat
op jou eerste dag!

Die Kahoena van Lowlands-L is baie tevrede met jou.

http://lowlands-l.net/treasures/kahuna.htm

Groete,
Reinhard/Ron
Administrateur