LL-L "Anthems" 2009.02.15 (04) [E]

Sun Feb 15 23:01:02 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 15 February 2009 - Volume 04

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>

Subject: LL-L "Anthems" 2009.02.14 (06) [E]

>From Heather Rendall heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk

James wrote: Calling a Scots or Welshman English is worse than calling
an Austrian German.

During discussions like this I often wonder what approach is left open to
me.

My maiden name was Bather from the Welsh  ap Adda

My father also carried the second surname of Cameron from the Scots 'crooked
..... something of the other. Sorry I forget the actual derivation.

My mother's maiden name was Green and came - like 100,000 other Greens -
from Norfolk

My mother's mother's family came from Newcastle West, Co Limerick and Dublin
with the Newcastle West family being in part an Irish Palatinate family from
Assenheim, Germany.

Can I (am I allowed) to sing any anthem wholeheartedly?

May I sing all them equally fervently without a smidgen of treason?

Is patriotism something one is taught/ adopts as a child?

Is there anyone with such pure ancestry that they can claim a single
loyalty?

What is the difference ( if any) between nationalism and patriotism?

best wishes

from Heather who now lays down the stick with which she has just prodded the
hornets' nest.