LL-L "Language diversity" 2009.02.19 (05) [E]

Thu Feb 19 18:43:54 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 19 February 2009 - Volume 05

From: Antero Helasvuo <antero.helasvuo at welho.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language diversity" 2009.02.19 (02) [E]

Subject: Language diversity

> Dear Lowlanders,
>
> For all of you that missed it, the very interesting TV interview with
> the linguist K. David Harrison is now accessible on You Tube:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmLYo8zQOVs
>
> Harrison is the author of the book /When Languages Die : The
> Extinction of the World's Languages and the Erosion of Human
> Knowledge/, New York City: Oxford University Press, which in 2008 came
> out in paperback form (ISBN-10: 0195372069, ISBN-13: 978-0195372069,
> US $17.95).

Hi, Ron.

Thanks a million for this highly interesting link. Of course many of us
"missed" this interview for obvious reasons. Thank Web, we can see it
now. I really hope Harrison's point, that he so eloquently expressed,
would be understood as widely as possible and also acted upon. Comparing
languages to monuments of architecture was a real eye opener, but his
observation that each and every language, no matter how small or only
living in oral form,contains a vast amount of knowledge that you can
only access by learning the particular language, is perhaps even more
important.

Of course there are efforts that are in harmony with what Harrison is
pursuing: our Lowlands-project for instance. I'd like to introduce to
you one more: My old friend the Dutch poet Arjen Duinker has started a
project hoping that one of his poems would be translated to as many
languages as possible. He did the same some ten years ago with his poem
"De steen bloeit", and the result was - I think - a couple of hundred
versions. So have a look, everybody is invited:

http://www.dok.info/index.php?cat=nieuwsitems&nieuws_id=321

Best regards

Antero

--
Antero Helasvuo
Luutnantinpolku 9 C 20

TEL +358 9 5872345
antero.helasvuo at welho.com

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Thanks, Antero.

I'll see if I can help with that project, and I hope others will too.

Seattle, USA