LL-L "Language diversity" 2009.02.20 (01) [E/LS]

Fri Feb 20 15:33:43 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 20 February 2009 - Volume 01

From: James Wilson <jawi2300 at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language diversity" 2009.02.19 (07) [E]

Hi Paul & Ron,

I agree with Paul that it is the speakers that must take the initiative to
preserve a language.  But as Ron points out, there are other aspects that
work against this.  If my own native tongue, Geordie (a Northumbrian
dialect), was Hadrian's Wall then there is no problem; English Heritage will
jump in to preserve it for the nation.  How can organisations such as the
Northumbrian Language Society hope to have any measure of succes when there
is *still* an active national government bias for English.

Regards
James
Copenhagen

----------

From: Hannelore Hinz  < HanneHinz at t-online-de>

Supject: LL-L "Language diversity" 2009.02.19 (05) [E]

Hi, Ron,

ick heff dien Inladen annahm'.

*Arjen Duinker 2009 10-01-2009*

*Hannelore Hinz 2009 19-02-2009*

*       - Up Mäkelborgsch', Germany -*

                 *(Essay)*

üm antaufangen

üm antaufangen

heit't antwuurt up de fraag

ob du för ein'n kiek twei oogen noedig hest

denn löppst du in ein'n laaden

de allerbest schockelor-prallinees verköfft

un du prauwst 'n poor

üm antaufangen

lop ick up anner oort jichtenswo hen

üm ein spraak tau hürn de ick nich verstah

denn drink ick bäten water

in dat huus von ein fomilie mit ob ahn vergangenheit

ein' fraag ick denn' weg

nu bäten anners

üm antaufangen

Best' Gräuten!

Hanne

----------

From: Wesley Parish <wes.parish at paradise.net.nz>

Supject: LL-L "Language diversity" 2009.02.19 (05) [E]

Let's see if anyone's interested in doing the same with any of my poems
(mwahahaha [evil grin] ;):

http://masalai.free.fr/Such-Savage-Thirst.html
http://masalai.free.fr/no-jobs.html
http://masalai.free.fr/Invocation-2.html
http://masalai.free.fr/deadbeat-poets.html
http://masalai.free.fr/elegy.html
http://masalai.free.fr/lucretia.html

Alternatively you may prefer to chew your legs off, a la the President of
the
Galactic Arts Nobbling Council when faced with Grunthos the Flatulent ... :)

Wesley Parish

On Friday 20 February 2009 07:43, Lowlands-L List wrote:
<snip>
> From: Antero Helasvuo <antero.helasvuo at welho.com>
> Subject: LL-L "Language diversity" 2009.02.19 (02) [E]
>
> Lowlands-L List kirjoitti:
<snip>
> Hi, Ron.

<snip>
> Of course there are efforts that are in harmony with what Harrison is
> pursuing: our Lowlands-project for instance. I'd like to introduce to
> you one more: My old friend the Dutch poet Arjen Duinker has started a
> project hoping that one of his poems would be translated to as many
> languages as possible. He did the same some ten years ago with his poem
> "De steen bloeit", and the result was - I think - a couple of hundred
> versions. So have a look, everybody is invited:
>
> http://www.dok.info/index.php?cat=nieuwsitems&nieuws_id=321
>
> Best regards
>
> Antero
>
> --
> Antero Helasvuo
> Luutnantinpolku 9 C 20
> 00410 HELSINKI
> FINLAND
>
> TEL +358 9 5872345
> antero.helasvuo at welho.com
>
> ----------
>
> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Language diversity
>
> Thanks, Antero.
>
> I'll see if I can help with that project, and I hope others will too.
>
> Regards,
> Reinhard/Ron
> Seattle, USA
<snip>•

-----
Gaul is quartered into three halves.  Things which are
impossible are equal to each other.  Guerrilla
warfare means up to their monkey tricks.
Extracts from "Schoolboy Howlers" - the collective wisdom
of the foolish.
-----
Mau e ki, he aha te mea nui?

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language diversity

Leve Hanne, ik heff dien Œversetten an Arjen wiederstüürt. Wääs' bedankt.

Nice poems, Wes! Suggestion: pick one, and not the longest one. That way you
may actually get responses, o Evil One.

By the way, I'm intrigued by the "masalai" part in the URLs. In Tok Pisin it
means something like 'monster' or 'bogeyman'
(http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/tokpisin.php).