LL-L "Lexicon" 2009.02.20 (02) [E]

Fri Feb 20 15:36:46 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 20 February 2009 - Volume 02

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L Vocabulary

I'm doing some genealogical research from time to time.

One sort of information are printed documents from within the family.

My question is just this, are these types of documents also printed in other
lowland countries?

And *what names* do they get locally?

I list what is usual in my native region (with a roman catholic tradition):

Standard:

- distributed during the church service for the burial:

Dutch: *Bidprentje*, Limburgish: *doedsbildsje* (doodsbeeldeke)  (mortuary
card?)

Since 2d part of 18th century, actually a collectors item traded at several
fairs.

The old ones had a religious picture on front, and a text with some elements
of the persons life combined with religious texts at the backside.

More modern ones are double size and folded, with often a facial picture of
the deceased, when still healthy, and a short poem inside.

All with the name of the deceased, dates and place of birth and death, as
also the name of the (eventually deceased) spouse,

and at the bottom the 4 family names (parents of both deceased and spouse)

- mailed ahead of the burial service and often distributed in all/most
mailboxes of the parish of the deceased.

Dutch: *rouwbrief,* Limburgish: *doedsbrief *(doodsbrief)  (mourning card?)

Is basically an invitation for the church service.

with the name of the deceased, dates and place of birth and death, as also
the name of the (eventually deceased) spouse,

with the name of all children, their spouses, the grandchildren

as also brothers and sisters, including brothers ans sisters in law of bot
deceased and spouse.

- the latter may also be published in full or with reduced content in
newspapers.

In some regions (e.g. Belgian Limburg) a photograph of the deceased is very
often added.

Generally named "*Rouwberichten*", "*Familieberichten*"

While compositions with *dood-* are current in spoken language, one tries to
avoid the word in written language.

Some people have a special version of their visting card for condoleances.

In my family in use since about 1930:

- memory print for the first communion (at 6 years) "Eerste Heilige
Communie"

with a religious picture on front (often a child receiving communion),

name, date of the communion, and kitchy poetry on the backside

("*bildsje*")

- memory print for the holy communion (at 12 years) "Plechtige Heilige
Communie"

with a religious picture on front (often a child receiving communion),,

name, date of the communion, and kitchy poetry on the backside.

("*bildsje*")

- invitation for a marriage

("*trouwbrief*")

- menu of the dinner at the occasion of the marriage.

(often these circulated and were signed by all the paricipants at the
dinner)

("*menu*")

In my family in use since about 1950:

- announcement of a birth

("*gebortekeutsje*", geboortekaartje)

Rarely

- printed version of the *menu *for the first communion

A bit more often

- printed version of the *menu *for the holy communion

Generaly just one copy at the moment of "*confirmation*"

with a picture of the local bishop in front

and the name of the confirmand and date handwritten at the back withing a
preprinted text.

This was generally a bulk service every two years for several parishes
together, for consideration of the agenda of the acting bishop I think.

Other:

For some church services (burial or marriage) a special *booklet* may be
printed with the selection of texts for that service.

Imitations.

mortuary cards and mourning cards are often imitated by student clubs and by
the military at the end of their term.

A related question is:

at what occasions in the family *group pictures* are taken.

In my family it is almost limited to marriages and golden marriages (50
years of marriages)

Never with burials, although the extended family normally attends a coffee
table after the burial.

in schools group picture of the class may be taken,

but I don't have this for all years.

last week to my surprise it was also done in the UK for just a 2-day
seminar,

cf. p. 5 on url http://www.euro-support.be/rtpdf/cam.pdf

(I'm second from the left in the front row)

Regards,

Roger