LL-L "Language diversity" 2009.02.20 (03) [A/E]

Fri Feb 20 21:00:52 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 20 February 2009 - Volume 03

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language diversity"

Beste Liëglanners,

UNESCO has published a nice online atlas of endangered languages (5
categories):

http://www.unesco.org/culture/ich/index.php?pg=00206

A separate map can also be downloaded (pdf, 20 MB).

Enjoy!

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx, Halle

----------

From: Mike Morgan <mwmosaka at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language diversity" 2009.02.20 (01) [E/LS]

James Wilson jawi2300 at gmail.com wrote:

How can organisations ... hope to have any measure of succes when there is *
still* an active national government bias for English.

And, unfortunately, often an active LOCAL government bias in the SAME
direction (that is, towards STANDARD English)...

It was that way in Hawaii for MANY years. Only after a group at UH (and
around) started the "Pidgin Coup" and held seminars, and started a press ...
only then did things get changed ... slightly.

(Even though MANY of the government were in fact HCE speakers of one sort or
another ... in their childhoods at least, they had been brought (up) to
believe that STANDARD English is the ONLY way to success...)

U C > || mwm
================
Dr Michael W Morgan
Ishara Foundation || ईशारा फॉउंडेशन  || イシャラ基金
Mumbai/Bombay *|* मुंबई *|* ムンバイ/ボンベイ (インド)
www.ishara.org
"People interested only in the bottom line, seem to have forgotten that the
stars are in the oposite direction" (anon)
-------
Цхьана буйна ши хорбаз тарлур яц.  = Ee kinnae haud twa wattermelon wi ae
niv.