LL-L "Language diversity" 2009.02.20 (05) [E]

Fri Feb 20 23:05:07 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 20 February 2009 - Volume 05

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L "Language diversity" 2009.02.20 (03) [A/E]

> From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>

>... UNESCO has published a nice online atlas of endangered languages (5
categories):

http://www.unesco.org/culture/ich/index.php?pg=00206

There is clearly disagreement within Luxembirg,

cf.:

http://www.wort.lu/wort/web/letzebuerg/artikel/07502/unesco-sprachenbericht-vieles-stimmt-einfach-nicht.php

Regards,

Roger

----------

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language diversity" 2009.02.20 (01) [E/LS]

Hi James,

I believe much of the problem with the languages and dialects of England and
Wales is that the speakers refuse to be bilingual. Of course the Education
System will be biased toward Standard English; you can't give a speech to
the Royal Society or an international conference in Geordie, and if you
imagine that a doctor from Mumbai is going to learn it so you can, you're
out of luck.

The problem is that speakers of the different tongues who learn Standard
English then stick with it and fall into a trap of treating their home
speech as "wrong".  It'stheir language, nobody else is making them do that.

Secondly, I guarantee that if I, as an East Midlander, attempted to speak
Geordie in Newcastle the locals would be convinced I was "taking the piss"
and I'd be met with derision at best, and more likely violence. Germans
don't take offence when I speak German, nor do Iranians when I try Persian.
If people want language status they need language responsibility.

Paul

Derby

England