LL-L "History" 2009.02.26 (04) [E]

Fri Feb 27 01:28:27 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 26 February 2009 - Volume 04

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2009.02.26 (03) [E]

> From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
> Subject: LL-L "History"

> It's still a matter of dispute among Slavists as to how important for
example the Varangians (from Sweden and further afield) were during the
creation of Russia, but I think it's accepted that trade along the Volga (as
far as the Caspian Sea) was largely in hands of Scandinavians. Kiev (capital
of Ukraine) was founded by some kind of Scandinavian warrior-elite. Whether
these Scandinavians were rather adventurers, merchants or pirates...or a bit
of everything: hard to tell I guess.

I guess Scandinavians see this rarther as part of viking history rather than
as Swedish history. I shared a table with the Norwegian ambasador in
Brussels twice at an event of the club "De Warande" in the past two years.
The history of the Viking presence in Ukrain and surroundings was brought by
him spontaneously each time as part of his country's history.

Regards

Roger

----------

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "History"

Beste Ron,

In an older Lowlands post (2004), you describe the word "Frank":

*But what about "Frank"?  Some believe the Franks were name after their main
weapon also: what in Old English is _franca_: a javelin.  It is interesting
that "Frank" is the basis of words for "Westerner," "European," "Christian"
through large stretches of Eurasia, all the way into Western China; e.g.,
Turkish __, Arabic فرنج  _firinji_ (pl. فرنجة _firinja_), Farsi فرنگى
_farangî_, Kurdish _ferhengî_, Hindi  **फ़रेन्घी** _farenghî_, Malayalam **
ഫരഹഗഈ**
_farengî_, Tamil **ரெங்க** _farengî_, **ரங்கி** _farangi_,
**பிரங்கி**_pirangi_,
Indonesian _barang_, Malaysian _palang_, Thai **ฝรง** _farang_, Vietnamese
_lan
khắp_.  This goes to show the "fame" Charly (Charlemagne) and his
Frankish-dominated hordes used to have.*

Writing about the illustrious effects that Rus' Vikings had on the medieval
Khazar state in a previous post, I started thinking that the Farsi word for
"European" may well have been inspired by the Varangians as well. Speaking
of their ferociousness, one Khazar ruler noted that it was almost impossible
to hold the Varangians back...worse even, if he didn't try, they would
surely ransack Baghdad, he said...mmm, have to bite my lips now. Q: What is
the greatest common divisor of America and Russia (read: Newfoundland and
Kiev)? *s*

In another forum, where the origin of the word "Frank" was also discussed,
another guy backs up my assumption, he writes:

*I am inclined to believe that Farang is from the persian 'farangi',
'foreigners'and spread eastwards along Muslim trade routes. I also believe
that this may have originally come from the old greek 'hoi barrangoi'. This
word refered to ' traders that provide security for their part in the
bargain' and refered specifically to Vikings. Vikings during the 9th and
10th century travelled up the rivers of Eastern Europe both for trade,
pirating and mercinary activities to the Black and Caspian Seas. They were
so respected as fiersome warriors (as well as traders) that they were
invited to form an elite guard (Palace Guard)for the Basilus of Bysantium in
Constantinople. This was on the grounds that they were less likely to be
embroiled in the internal politics of the state and hence trustworthy. The
Swedes refered to themselves as 'Varrangjar' or 'Varrangi' from the greek,
while the Danes and Norwegians prefered 'Vikingr'. Hence the name for the
elite troops of Byzantium as the Varangian Guard. Other persian and arab
traders they met and did business with probably also refered to them as
'varangi' or 'farangi'. Since the Franks looked very similar (ethnically
similar) and were the only other 'white northern folk' to be present in the
area at the time both the Franks and the Varangjar were probably termed
Ferengi - traders (with weapons).*

OK, this doesn't make Charlemagne a lap dog, but it could add some
perspective.

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx, *فرنگستان*