LL-L "Etymology" 2008.12.31 (07) E]

Thu Jan 1 01:47:49 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 31 December 2008 - Volume 07

From: Mike Morgan <mwmosaka at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.12.31 (01) [E]

R/R:

> I assume that Ukrainian бугай (buhaj) is a Romanian loan.

Well, according to the Этимологический словарь русского языка. Макса
Фасмера (Max Fasmer's Etymological Dictionary, one of TWO older
standard etymological dictionaries for Russian), it is a borrowing
from Turkic ("Заимств. из тюрк.: ср. тур. buɣa "бык"). Of course, the
standard ANATOLIAN Turkish for ox is öküz. Here in Bombay i don't have
access to my turkish dialect materials, but would GUESs that maybe it
is a Gagauz form (if indeed Max Fasmer's is correct). The added -й
(-j) would then be a natural addition, since without it the ox would
be feminine! A boorowing from, e.g., Gagauz would easily explain its
existence in Rumanian AND Ukrianian (and Polish), without necessarily
being a borrowing from one of those into the other (though of course
Moldovan is right next door to the Ukraine, so a direct borrowing
woudl also not be implausible ... i am just passing on what good ole
Max says.)

Mike || マイク || माईक || Мика || માઈક || მაიქ || ਮਾਈਕ
מייק || மாஇக் || Miqueu || U C > || ما یک || Mihangel
================
Dr Michael W Morgan
Managing Director Ishara Foundation Mumbai (Bombay), India
++++++++++++++++
माईकल मोर्गन (पी.एच.डी.) मेनेजिंग डॉयरेक्टर ईशारा फॉउंडेशन (मुंबई )
++++++++++++++++
茂流岸マイク(言語学博士) イシャラ基金の務理事・事務局
長 ムンバイ(ボンベイ)、インド

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Thanks for the interesting twist, Mikes.

Of course! Duh (he says now)!

It's Proto-Turkic **būka *with many Turkic descendants (e.g. Old Turkic *
buqa*, Modern Turkish *boa*) 'bull'! Gagauz has two forms: *bu**ɣ**a *~ *bua
*!

Might we therefore say that Romanian got it from Slavic, specifically from
Ukrainian via Moldavian Romanian?

Hungarian got *bika* from it.