LL-L "Traditions" 2008.12.31 (08) E]

Thu Jan 1 02:07:53 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 31 December 2008 - Volume 08

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables"

Beste Mark,

Looking at the description of South-African "koeksisters" or "koesisters", I
have the impression these look/taste more like our smoutebollen
("smaabol(le)n" we say here) than "vetkoeken":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koeksister

What do you think?

Have no idea where "sister" comes from...all I know is that it's an obsolete
measure of volume (for grain if I remember well). Or maybe "sister" just
wants to point out that they're not real cookies, but sort of related
("sister") to them.

Kind greetings...and..."ne gelukkige vöö allegaa 't noste jaar"...

Luc Hellinckx